Baby Foodies

So, if you know me you know that we don't co-sleep, we don't cloth diaper, we do get vaccinated on schedule, and we do use the CIO method. BUT we do make our own baby food! :)

Why? Because it's darn cheap! Look at this cost comparison chart:





And it's darn easy! It may sound overwhelming, but it doesn't take much time at all and you can do a bunch at once and freeze it in to ice cube trays and plop em out as you need them!
I did this with Jack after about 2 months of buying store bought, when I thought "this is ridiculous!" So I set out to find the best resources I could.

I came upon this website, Wholesome Baby Food which is pretty much the best one out there. (I also use the toddler site here, for Jack!)
It answers any questions you have, gives you menus and food lists for each age group, it tells you how to cook, store and serve almost anything you can think of.

The boys have both started eating a small amount of food now, after signaling they were ready along with our pediatricians recommendations. We started them on bananas! Yeah, cereal does not have to be the first food! Avocados, bananas, apples etc...these are all fine! And when you do want to give them cereal, guess what...you can make that yourself too! I just finished a batch of homemade baby oatmeal.

The boys loved bananas and are doing really well with them! They aren't taking the place of any "milk meals" since that is their main source for several more months.

Jack didn't start this early, and they might not get it every day, but I'm excited about this new little milestone for them and for me. It's messy and crazy, but it's a ton of fun!

2 comments

  1. Hi Krystle! Thanks for stopping by my blog and dropping me a note.

    I had to laugh a little because I just finished a post about baby food too. :) Wholesome Baby Food's site was by far my favorite go-to as well! And you're right, it really isn't that hard at all.

    Look forward to following and getting to know you better!
    ~Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool site. We made our own food ( and we vax on sched and cannot handle co-sleeping!) I never found this place, but avocados were our favorite first food. Our girls started solids just short of 5 mos. Now at 18 mos eat whatever we do! I think feeding solids is fun. Google baby led weaning. A lot of that info was really helpful for feeding twins...took pressure off of me, and kids sled feed so well!

    ReplyDelete